Re: [computer-go] engine + gui protocol?

kgsgtp is a program that allows you to connect to kgs. As long as you support gtp, you can use a number of gui's.

Personally, I find a bit of a lack to the gui's and/or gtp protocol in that I can't query the engine and/or have the engine spontaneously report status as much as I'd like. There's no way on KGS, for instance, for the engine to "chat" at (or with) you.

Joshua Shriver wrote:
Is there a protocol for attaching an engine to a GUI or even the KGS server?
For chess ppl here, I'm looking for something along the lines of the xboard and uci protocol and a client that can utilize this to interact with
a go server.

If so where is the official protocal specification, or a writeup explaning it.
If so is it pipe based or socket based?

Thanks for the info in advance and to all of those who have already helped me today :)

-Josh

Jason.
732-578-6378