Re: [computer-go] I know we disagree,but I choose to do nothing about it.

On 22, Jul 2005, at 4:18 PM, Nick Wedd wrote:

I thought, I still think, that it is you who advocates mandating it. You don't propose mandating it by requiring programs to respond in some way to the "kgs-genmove_cleanup" command; you advocate effectively mandating it by changing the rules of the tournaments so that programs that don't respond appropriately to it will lose most of their games as a consequence.

And I am not happy about this. Or maybe I still don't understand.
I feel exactly the same way. This proposal promotes an "optional" protocol over correct understanding of the game situation, and if the program does correctly understand the board but does not participate in the protocol it looses. Not much of an option from my perspective, even if I ignore my other problems with the suggested protocol.

And because any bot that chooses not to score correctly the first time can force this protocol upon the opponent, it is not much different than a change in the rules of Go. Or maybe I don't understand either.

While I regret that manual resolution is more work for any tournament organizer, I think that Nick has done a wonderful job because he has always asked both programmers if they accept his analysis before pushing "the big button." Given the state of Computer Go and the complexity of the game, I can see no sensible choice other than human intervention when these disagreements happen between programs.

Cheers,
David