Re: [computer-go] Automatic acquisition of syntactic structures

I don't quite feel like I can implement the algorithm based on the paper. It seems to outline fairly clearly how to detect longer patterns with statistical significance, but I don't see how it selects equivalence sets. Can anyone shed any light on that piece?

That being said, the algorithm looks extremely straight-forward to me; as described in the paper, it's a brute force scanning for exactly what we'd expect a pattern to be.

Also note that the algorithm implicitly assumes distinct language literals and have poor recognition of identical patterns occurring in a neighboring part of the board.

Bob Myers wrote:
I wonder if any computer go researchers have seen this paper

http://www.tau.ac.il/~zsolan/papers/soletalb2002.pdf

entitled "Automatic acquisition and efficient representation of syntactic structures", and claiming to be an algorithm for learning "sequences", not only language-based but also "sheet music or protein sequences".

Thoughts?

--
Bob Myers

--