Re: [computer-go] Super Ko on KGS ignores player to move

On 8/14/05, john tromp <John.Tromp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Section 6 reads:
> Reappearance of the same board position is forbidden throughout the
> game.
>
> It takes a stretch of imagination to consider this unclear.

It is unclear because they do not define what "Reappearance of the
same board position" is. There can be more to a position than just the
arrangement of stones. First of all is of course the player to move,
but there may be several more things to consider.

>>From the above statement I could even deduce that passing would be illegal !

Another annoyance is that they don't specify who's to blame when a
position actually does repeat. I could argue that in a balanced cycle
of sufficient length *both* players are equally responsible for
reappearance of the same board position. Assigning a loss to the
player that made the last move that completed the cycle could then be
considered unfair, and a draw would therefore be more appropriate.

Best,
Erik