Re: [computer-go] Super Ko on KGS ignores player to move

On 8/16/05, David Fotland <fotland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ing sponsored the major computer go tournament for over 15 years, so all of
> the older programs played by these rules, and I would conder them a major
> rule set.

You have a point, from a computer Go perspective SST (ING) rules could
be considered a major rule set.

As far as I know Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and AGA rules do not allow
suicide. Only SST and New Zeeland rules allow suicide. Whether these
two are to be considered major rulesets is debatable, but from a human
perspective I would probably say no.

Is suppose the best thing to do as a programmer is to attempt to make
your program immune to any type of malformed input. Unless it's for
obtaining sponsorship money I don't see why suicide should be allowed
in Computer Go tournaments, but of course also this is a matter of
personal preference...

Best,
Erik