Re: [computer-go] Wishlist for playing programs on KGS

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 19:18 -0400, Raymond Wold wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:07:42 +0200, William M. Shubert <wms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > [using first parameter keywords instead of character symbols]
>
> Sounds like a much better idea.
>
> Are there game types which has a sense of "opponent" yett allows others
> to talk? If so, make sure that there's a way to distinguish the opponent
> from the kibitzers.

You can only hear from your opponent when playing. (Teaching games are
an exception, but computer go players probably shouldn't be in them
anyway).

> > I'll have to think about that. I'd probably use a different command if I
> > do it. Maybe "kgs-comment_query" to query for a comment? It seems like
> > the "kgs-chat" is primarily a way to send messages/commands/queries to
> > the engine, and it contains information from the opponent, so it would
> > be best not to mix that with queries to see if the engine has something
> > to say itself.
>
> A comment query has other uses as well; any bot implementing it can be
> used to annotate a SGF file for instance.

Good point.

> >> No need to support chat at all for this to work.
> >> User can just create file quit.flag which existence bot checks when it
> >> gets clear_board command.
> >
> > H'mmm, yes. :-) This is probably the very easiest way to do the shutdown
> > thing, for both the engine authors and myself.
>
> But clear_board does not necesarilly mean game end in all cases, it can
> also mean board rebuilding. Better imo to use the boardsize command, which
> has been suggested on the GTP mailing list be renamed to new_game or
> similar, with an implied clear_board.

Or maybe while adding new commands just "kgs-game_over"? To be totally
clear, so if you want to know when one game ends you can.

This has now become three new commands: "kgs-chat", "kgs-comment_query",
and "kgs-game_over". More than I wanted by two. :-( But maybe useful
enough to warrant it.