Re: [computer-go] Wishlist for playing programs on KGS

Hello list,

although beeing no active Go Progam developer,
just an occasional GNU Go operator on KGS,
here's my vote for both the ideas of
Chris Fant and Mike Bazynski.

The elegance of Mike's suggested new gtp command kgs-another_game
lies in the the fact that it hands the decision over on the engine, allowing for
a self-contained and simple design.

Re-Reading the config file between games, as Chris Fant suggest, on the
other hand would pave the way to any desired degree of responsiveness
and flexibility of the engine. Not only a gracious quit could be implemented
but also changing requested game params, opponent, gameNotes, talk etc.
Also a simple log-switching could be made possible by changing the logFile
parameter if kgsgtp would recognize the change and open another file.

To push the idea even further ... and adressing #5 plus the idea of some
talking "ELIZA-GO" AI-engine or kibitz program already mentioned on this list:
Imagine kgsgtp reading the file after each move and a new "speak" config
parameter that causes a sentence to be printed into the game log - et voilà.

Some possible problems should however be adressed beforehand
regarding the config file approach:

 - At least on my WinXP system some version of kgsgtp seems to lock the config file,
   making it impossible to overwrite it between games/moves. Is that something that
  could be changed easily or is it inherent to a java app?

 - The config parameters should be divided into a class that is interpreted only once
   at kgsgtp startup ("Session Parameters"), a bunch of "Game Parameters" and
   (if desired) the one or two commands that get interpreted between moves.
   (E. g. I don't think it would be desirable nor even practical from a GTP point of view
   to change the engine between moves ... changing the login between games would
   imply a new session ... hopping around the rooms between games would be questionable
   imho too ... at least for an engine ... Better to require a new session for that!)

 - For a start, only very few commands would be needed in the "Game Parameters":
   `open´, `opponent´ and perhaps `tournament´ would be sufficient. But imho a
   new parameter `numGames´ would be more flexible and cleaner - because of the
   already "overloaded" meaning of combinations of `open´ and `opponent´.
   (Detailed proposal for numGames:
    - numGames missing or =-1 would mean play as long as nothing else happens
       (still re-reading the config file ...);
    - numGames positive and not changed between games would cause to play n games and quit
    - numGames positive and changed would mean just the same but reset game counter to new value
    - numGames=0 would mean: no more games after the current one.
   Note that kgsgtp would not attempt to write down the new game counter values into the config file;
   it would rather log it in it's log file.)

 - One last proposal - if WMS was to adopt the config file approach ...
   Designing the whole "Game Parameter" thing as Optional could be simpler - concerning the locking issue -
   and easier to understand:
   Having a new parameter in the usual config file `gameOptFile´ that defaults to st. like `kgsgtp_game_opions´
   This file would be probed (by default in the same directory kgsgtp found it's ordinary config file) between
   games and parsed if present. All "Game Parameters" found there would override the ones in the ordinary
   file. So it's simplest use would be not using it until one wants to stop the session by means of `numGames=0´.

happy Go - ing

Heiner Spies